People’s Choice Credit Union today encouraged Australians to stay secure online and commit to protecting their personal and financial information in recognition of National Cyber Security Awareness Week.
People’s Choice is a strong supporter of Cyber Security Awareness Week which aims to help Australians understand the risks associated with online communication and the steps people can take at home or in their small business to protect themselves and their families.
“Anti-fraud measures are a key priority for the Credit Union and its members and the community has an important role to play,” Managing Director, Peter Evers said.
“There are easy, everyday measures Australians can take to protect themselves and their money from cyber fraud.”
Some of the top tips to combat cyber fraud include:
• Use strong passwords and different passwords for different uses.
• Stop and think before you click on links and attachments.
• Take care when transacting online – research the supplier and use a safe payment method.
• Only download “apps” from reputable publishers and read all permission requests.
• Regularly check your privacy settings on social networking sites.
• Stop and think before you post any photos or financial information online.
• Talk with your child about staying safe online, including on their smartphone or mobile devices.
National Cyber Security Awareness Week (June 12-15) focuses on educating people on safe online usage in the home, small and medium businesses, in schools and for teenagers and young children.
People’s Choice is proud to join other industry, community and consumer groups and government agencies to promote the week.
“Cyber Security Awareness week is for everyone who uses the internet and it delivers a timely reminder to Australians about the importance of keeping personal information private.”
The Stay Smart Online website http://www.staysmartonline.gov.au has further information about what the community can do to help reduce cyber crime and activities planned this week.
Connect with us RSS Blog Youtube Google+ Twitter Facebook
Copyright © 2013 People's Choice Credit Union, a trading name of Australian Central Credit Union Ltd ABN 11 087 651 125 Australian Financial Services Licence (244310) and Australian Credit Licence (244310) BSB 805-050