We’re no experts in cricket, but are major sponsors of the Adelaide Strikers and we do like numbers, so let’s get your office cricket conversations started with these facts you might not have known about our team in blue.
Start your conversation with these 14 Adelaide Strikers facts:
- Sophie Devine has made the most runs of all the current Adelaide Strikers players, male or female. She surpassed 1,500 runs during WBBL|05 with a high score of 103 (not out).
- Travis Head’s stats are also quite impressive, with the most runs scored for the BBL Strikers at 1,051. His highest Adelaide Strikers score came on New Year’s Eve in BBL|05 when he scored 101 (not out).
- Five Strikers have made a BBL or WBBL century: Alex Carey, Travis Head, Jake Weatherald, Suzie Bates and Sophie Devine.
- Four bats are kept in opening batsman, Jake Weatherald’s bag for each game!
- 6/11 are the best bowling figures for a Striker held by New Zealand leg-spinner, Ish Sodhi (BBL|06). These are the second-best figures in BBL history.
- One team the WBBL Strikers have never beaten leading into WBBL|05: the Sydney Sixers.
- 18 was the age left-arm spin bowler, Alex Price chose cricket over AFL. She played in the first AFL women’s exhibition match between Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs, and won Port Adelaide’s senior best and fairest at the age of 16.
- The Adelaide Strikers were the first BBL team to sign a player from Afghanistan. Rashid Khan was contracted in BBL|07 and quickly became a fan favourite!
- Three choices for the Strikers’ drink bottles during games and training: water, Hydralyte or Powerade.
- Ten current Strikers have played for their country, including BBL Strikers coach, Jason Gillespie. Others include Sarah Coyte, Travis Head, Tahlia McGrath, Megan Schutt, Peter Siddle, Cameron White, Lauren Winfield, Rashid Khan and Amanda-Jade Wellington.
- 201 (not out) is Strikers’ BBL Head Coach, Jason Gillespie’s highest Test match score for Australia. He wasn’t even a batter, but a fast bowler, and scored this double ton on his 31st birthday.
- Zero phone access is given to players and coaches during a match. Their phones are locked in a box from when they enter the change rooms until well after the final ball is bowled.
- There are five types of Adelaide strikers coaching staff and game day specialists: a head coach, physiotherapist, a strength and conditioning coach, a batting coach and a bowling coach.
- Newly signed Striker, Cameron White is the fourth highest scorer in BBL history with 1,546 runs leading into BBL|09.
When the season starts, and you’re undoubtedly thrown into cricket conversations, bring out any one of these Strikers stats – you’re guaranteed to bowl them over!
Ready to go to a game? Read our '7 top tips for a family day at the cricket’.